?

?

Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 192 times)

Offline billthedog082

• Social Coordinator
  • "Way too Exposed" Addict
  • PA Badges: 2029
  • Pogo Screen Name: billthedog082
  • Pogo Badges: 4000+
  • 9999999969 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To billthedog082
Thoughts
« on: May 31, 2022, 09:32:52 AM »

Sometimes when I look at what new members add to our boards, I think, I might have something valid (at least to me) to post to take up room on the Info Center.   

Today is What You Think Upon Grows Day.  This meme is an interpretation of what this might mean:

I am off to think happy thoughts now. 

Anyone else is free to post any comments about this topic.  I like to think I am not alone.  According to Mulder, I shouldn't worry about that, but that is another topic.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:35:52 AM by billthedog082 »
Thank you paintnut2  for my pretty siggies!

Offline billthedog082

• Social Coordinator
  • 9999999969 credits
  • View Inventory
Re: Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 06:27:04 AM »
Sometimes you are the kitten, sometimes you are someone else's watermelon.  We all have our moments.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 06:27:22 AM by billthedog082 »

Offline billthedog082

• Social Coordinator
  • 9999999969 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
It was Friday morning, just two days ago.  What do you say when you get up on Friday morning?  Is it "YAY almost the weekend"?  Or, if you work from home, and the days all meld together because of a boss who thinks every waking hour is a working hour, "I hope I'm not out of cream for my coffee".  I guess something had happened during the night, although the microwave wasn't flashing its happy little "help, I don't know what time it is" plea.  I say that, because when I turned on my trusty, keeps-me-in-touch-with-work-family-and-friends computer, it said this to me:

I am pretty sure this was the look on my face, as my dog immediately left the room, looking for something very doggie-centric to keep himself occupied until the windows stopped rattling.

This was a disaster of epic proportions!  What what?  No workaround?  How is that possible?  There is ALWAYS a workaround.  This was like a really bad virus.  My IT guy showed up at noon, and used his workaround, and was gone in fifteen minutes.

Now in case something like this ever happens to you, my suggestion is to find that darned key somewhere on your system, and print it out.  Mine is now on my bulletin board, ready for the next disaster.  Which will most likely be something totally different, and even more emotionally wrenching and time consuming.

While I was waiting for my IT guy to arrive, with three hours of empty time on my hands, I got some weeding and raking done.  We did No Mow May on my block this year, and we all took our meadows down on June 1.  It left more to clean up than we had expected, but the bees, and butterflies, and other little guys that keep Mother Earth healthy appreciated our gesture.  Maybe.  I also recklessly did some laundry, out of the Ontario Hydro's cheaper rate time.  And I cleaned out my car.  There was enough cream in the house to keep me on the edge of super-caffeination, and it turns out all was well with my world.  For now.  Let's not talk about the catchup time I needed for work.  Because there is no time limit - nuther story.

Oh yes, you would like to know the workaround - turns out if you hold down your power button for at least 2 minutes, SOMETIMES voila - restoration and huzzahs all around!  And that's why my IT guy drives a much nicer car than I do, and lives in a home that doctors and lawyers envy.

On Friday Microsoft was my watermelon.  And they didn't care.  But it all worked out.  Most of the time, it does, one way or another.  And my lawn doesn't look half bad now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:09:55 PM by billthedog082 »

Offline billthedog082

• Social Coordinator
  • 9999999969 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
I work from home.  I have half a dozen or so clients, and a full-time job.  I do books for small business, and I end up doing all kinds of other things for all those folks, and who knows how that happened.  But that's what pays the mortgage, and keeps my pup in toys and treats. 

During COVID, I attended a ZOOM meeting once a week, run by the Canadian Federation of independent Business.  They had all the updates on all the handouts and grants and loans the governments, both provincial and federal, were making available for those they had forced into unemployment.  (These meetings were useful for me, to keep all my clients and my boss in the loops they needed to be in.  Mostly as dull as yesterday's mud, but still useful.)  At the end of every meeting, they had a pithy saying or two to make all the newly-destitute and desperate feel that all was not lost.  I found my notes from one of the meetings this weekend, and looked at the last page.

"The barn burned down, but now I can see the moon."

It sounded good at the time, making lemonade out of lemons and all that.  My brain put other spins on it today:  Oh great the barn is gone and the moon is so bright I can see the smoldering ruins in the dark. 

There are at least two sides to every story.  When COVID was dragging on and on and on, we needed to see the moon.  Now it's over, and for a lot of people, it still isn't really over while recovery also drags on and on and on.  And there is no watermelon to be mad at.

Offline billthedog082

• Social Coordinator
  • 9999999969 credits
  • View Inventory
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 09:03:22 PM »
This is a story of how I haven't been spending my summer so far.  I have been posting contests on this site since, well, for a long time.  My particular favourite, PA Dailies, has had 4,182 separate posts.  I started posting on February 1, 2011, and never looked back.  The contest survived two hip replacement surgeries, various family events, other hobbies, and a bazillion other things.  For the first time, this summer, I took July off.  Took a break.  Didn't even think of it.  And for no good reason.  I didn't get any busier than usual, mostly because that would be physiologically and logistically impossible.   I just did some different things:

1.  I live on almost five acres of meadows and woodlands.   There has been no chemical activity on the property since greenhouse and regular farming came to a distinct and final halt with my father's death, in 1988.  Everything has run wild since then, and it's quite impressive how very wild it has become.  There is even a little stream that has found its way through.  There was no stream when the farm was active.  Gotta love Mother Nature.  There are now deer roaming free, as subdivisions spring up around us and drive them our way.  We have always had raccoons, skunks, possum, rabbits, and squirrels.  We now also have hawks and owls.  If one ever needs a small-set sample of the Carolinian forest, come to my place, we are IT.  So, I rented two hives of honey bees.  It seemed like the right thing to do.  My bee-guy, George, came down and took a look around, and said it would be an ideal location.  I live in hope.

Now we have all heard that honey bees are on their way out.  And those reports are no lie.  But, all pollinators are on their way out, including the very many different kinds of "wild" bees, who are solitary and whose sole job it is to pollinate.  If you have time, check out this clickable link to find out about the 20,000 types of bees.  (I had no idea, and I have been fascinated by bees since grade 3).

2.  In the fifties, while I was still a mere slip of a wee girl, my parents purchased the farm, and proceeded to eke out a living to keep us all fed and sheltered.  My dad and godfather built, with their own two hands, two large greenhouses on the property, which along with the rest of the farm, kept us alive, barely.  Don't let anyone ever tell you that working a small farm will guarantee early retirement.  The early retirement for most small-farm owners is provided by the full-time job they take on the side.   But I digress.  Those buildings are still there.  One is 100 feet long, the second is 75.  They are lacking all the mod-cons they used to have, including electricity and running water, never mind all the glass that has come down.

It was into the second building that I thought I would put start a bit of an agricultural adventure.  If you ask anyone at all that knows any little thing about me, it would be that I have always hated to garden.  It's backbreaking and thankless, and as my mom says, a constant war against Mother Nature.  Nevertheless, I thought I should do this, this summer.  It was egged on by George (remember? the bee-guy).  He has augmented his bee business by also donating to the bee receivers (like me) a few native-to-Ontario seedlings to plant to help Mother Nature along her way to getting healthier and happier.  I ended up with 12 dozen plants, of 20 varieties, to help me on my agricultural adventure.  On the whole, the plants are doing quite well, and by next year, there will be an impressive display of pollinator plants.  And not only will they be native-to-Ontario, but native-to-Niagara, so I can give seeds to my neighbours and friends to keep George's project alive.

I also have an edible agricultural experiment going, with 4 varieties of tomatoes with their companion marigolds, an eggplant, some potatoes, and a zucchini.  Exciting news on the zucchini front: after 9 male blossoms, the plant finally had a female blossom which somehow got pollinated, and now has a zucchini coming.  I'm going to be a zucchini grandma!!

3.  to be continued.....

Tiny URL:

Who's Online